According to the latest post from Melissa Douthit (aka Athena Parker or Johnny Be Good) the site is officially closed, although it will remain online “for comment”.
The events shown and described in Indie Author Rick Carufel seeks to hire Anonymous hackers to ‘destroy’ his enemies seem to have marked a downward spiral for the hate-filled associates as predicted, especially when Reddit and media sources including the Daily Dot launched their coverage based on the article.
Bryant, Carufel and Douthit (STGRB) never quite recovered from the attention to their illegal, unethical and questionable activities, with any support for them dwindling to nothing afterward. Reputations utterly ruined, they had very few options: close shop, or make fools of themselves. Below is the final, desperate attempt to create a marketing spin that allows any of them any dignity whatsoever.
A Final Note to Our Readers
Filed Under: News by Johnny Be Good — 1 CommentDecember 3, 2013
It has come to our attention that some of our readers are wondering why we haven’t posted much in the last few weeks. The reason is because now that Goodreads management has finally admitted that the site has a problem with bullying and has attempted to address this problem and correct it, our mission here at STGRB is accomplished. The fact is that the bullies have lost their “holy” war. So, we won’t be blogging about them anymore. We see no need. They have been relegated to petty insignificance by the Goodreads management team and by the vast majority of Goodreads users. In other words, they have lost their power and they won’t be getting it back.
The only regret we have is the fact that it took so long for Goodreads to acknowledge the abuse on their site and do something about it. It should have been corrected years ago. Our sympathies extend to those who were victims of the abuse and had no recourse or help at the time of their attack. If GR had been a respectable and responsible management team, they would have acted. They didn’t. To some, this still leaves a bitter taste in their mouths and we fully understand that. We also understand that many have seen fake ratings and reviews appear on their books as a direct result of GR policy changes and the bullies’ reaction to it (aka, their “Civil Protest”). We’ve done our best to give you solid evidence of this and to point you in the right direction so that this problem, too, can be addressed and solved. We feel that at this point, only a lawsuit will force Goodreads/Amazon to crack down on this. We wish you good luck. We will be leaving our blog up as a record of what occurred and we welcome any of our readers to use it either to communicate with each other, to leave new information, or to publish guests posts (anonymous if necessary) when they wish to share a story or information with the STGRB community. In other words, the blog is all yours. Have fun!
Douthit, it seems, has smartly closed shop.
Carroll Bryant, however, continues his tirades and will cobble together a copy-and-paste homemade tattle diary to profit from the fiasco.
His buddy-not buddy-turned buddy again Rick Carufel is using the now-defunct movement to promote himself, his services and sites.
UPDATE December 5, 2013 2:02 PM PST by AreaFiveLA
- He opens with an attack on Gen, complete with referring to her as a monkey, knowing well she is a proud black woman. This is not the first time he has used racist slurs in retaliation. You can find more of them in his comments on our blog articles. He calls Gen names, from monkey to bully, bullying and harassing her throughout his post.
- He never acknowledges the fact that her August article spelled the downward spiral of STGRB and associates when several media sources contacted her and covered the story, making it go viral.
- He does not use proper screen shots of this blog. He purposely cuts them as to not show the actual information provided here. He has done this all along on his blog. This is how he attempts to manipulate the gullible.
- He never cites evidence. He does not link or show any links for reference. You’re simply supposed to take his word for it, even when it’s proven that he doctors his screen shots to manipulate others and at best takes part in “yellow journalism”.
- He attempts to refute the fact that those involved with STGRB (including him) participate in “unethical, illegal and questionable activity”. Even though the evidence of it is clearly shown throughout our blog posts here, including the many reports to sites, ISPs, social media and law enforcement.
- He cites a blog post he made about someone Gen is not friends with, insisting they are friends that somehow “fell out” because it suits his purpose. (Gen asked for information about Carroll Bryant from a private group because she was being contacted by the media in regard to STGRB and his role in it.) The person who wrote the article he refers to knew this (it was stated in the group) but chose to lie so everyone with sense ignored it. Bryant jumped on it, without fact-checking or referencing, which is usual fare for him.
- He desperately tries to discredit Gen, which he does in every post about her, even though more than one blogger has covered STGRB, its associates and their activities. He’s tried to do this all along, including mass attempts to make the public believe that she is other people.
- He continues the ill-effective tactic of responding to what I’d call “set up” questions from “anonymous” posters. These anonymous comments always seem to praise him, feed his ego or set up a situation in which he can “impart information” in an attempt to scare or frighten other people. Yes, it gets old.
- He knows our blog is popular but we don’t advertise our readership. There is no way for him to know how many views this article has. (For the record, it’s quickly breaking a thousand as I type this and I have no doubt our media contacts are already using the information given in it.)
- I have been told by two insider sources that Carroll Bryant monetizes his social media accounts, including his blogs, and one look at who he follows on Twitter seems to confirm the allegation.
- He is profiting from his hate because of monetization as well as fostering his quest for internet fame.
- He will do anything in his attempt to become some kind of celebrity. This only gives me pause due to his obsession for Gen.